Sunday, September 12, 2004

To sit, or not to sit...

The deed is done.

Matt had his first full day of school on Friday. I survived. Of course, the teacher needed to talk to me for awhile when I went to pick him up....

First day of school. Special class for his needs. STILL I need to talk to the teacher on the first day. Nothing really major.

See, some kids with FAS are particularly sensitive to environmental factors, like texture. She needed to know if Matt has a sensitivity to carpets. Nooooooo. Seems Matt was unwilling to sit on the carpet at all that day. He sat fine in the gym for their assembly (ASSEMBLY ! On the FIRST day of school?!), but wouldn't sit for carpet time. The teacher had the kids sit on the carpet so they could go one at a time to wash their hands and get their lunches. Sounds simple. Immediate payoff for compliance. Would he sit? Nope. Not my kid. We're trying really hard to make sure he knows he has to go along with the routine this year, so the teacher told him "all you have to do is touch your bum to the carpet". And she sat and waited with him. 35 minutes she waited with him. Finally they let him go eat and decided to ask me if there was anything they needed to know about Matt and carpets.

Yep. That's my boy. Funny how two kids without my genetic makeup can each have such a strong portion of my stubbornness. Yes, Kelvin will stand his ground, too.

So, that was our first day.

I actually wrote about this once, but lost the entry when I went to spellcheck it.

Tomorrow is supposed to be Kelvin's first day, but he's got a nasty cold, so we may have to wait a day or two. No point infecting all the other kids right at the beginning. Besides, it's kindergarten.