Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Baby Blues

Not what you're thinking....

My baby (well, both of them, actually) is going back to school this week.

Kelvin will be in Kindergarten, so he'll only be gone for the afternoons. I can deal with that. We've done it with at least one of them for the last two years.

Matthew will be gone all day. He won't even be home for lunch. This is the last week I get to have lunch with my baby. And I don't even get Friday to do that.

I know, Matt's my oldest, so why do I refer to him as my baby? Simple. When Kelvin came to live with us he was nearly two years old. Sweet and precious, but not really a baby. Matt is likely the only baby I will ever have. No one knows him better than I do. There's just a different bond with us.

Next year Kelvin will go to grade one, and he'll be gone the whole day, too, but at least he'll come home for lunch. I'll have a chance to connect with him in the middle of the day. And Kelvin has better social skills than Matt does, so I'm less concerned about how he's relating to the kids he's with. I also have more opportunity to get involved with his class, and see who his friends are and how his teacher relates to them.

*sigh....* Life doesn't stop just because we hit a comfortable spot, so..... I guess I just have to take a deep breath and jump right into this phase, 'cause it's not going to wait for me, and I don't want to miss it.