Monday, November 08, 2004

The Fatal Flaw...

Yep, I've found it.

I have found the fatal flaw in all the child rearing theories. Including attachment parenting. (Sorry Jude)

Seems we all manage to forget the human component. It's always some variation of reaping what we sow.... but we're not growing plants, or programming computers, or getting dogs to salivate.... We're raising little people.

People. Don't ya just love us? We try really hard, and then we mess up. We even try to explain it away with lovely theories like "When we know to do better, we do better." As though we were unfamiliar with the cause of our downfall. And, sure, sometimes we are, but most of the time, I propose, we are simply human.

See, I know that if I go to bed at a decent hour, eat only healthy foods, get enough exercise, etc... that I will feel better and handle the adventures of life better. So, do I make the good choices? Sometimes. And sometimes I will just go for the Pepsi and peanutbutter cups and zesty Doritos, stay up until all hours blogging or playing computer games, and drive around the corner to 7-11. Why? Don't I get enough positive feedback from making the right choices? Sure I do. Don't I know better? Of course I do. I like how I feel and function when I'm doing what I know is good for me. Somehow that just isn't enough to keep me there.

So, I think I will TRY to have a little more grace for my kids when I think they should "know better". After all, they're just as human as I am....

Don't ya think?....