Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Shooting my mouth off

Ok, I'll admit it. I'm positively anal about kids not playing with guns. Sadly, in this instance, I am not a single parent and therefore my views get tempered by those of the other parent. You know, the one who goes out and buys computer games about hunting which he plays with our obsessive little six-year-old.

So, I've managed to come around to the fact that kids (boys especially) will make guns out of just about anything. And I've realized, thanks to said other parent, that by totally banning the nasty things we only make them more desirable. Thus, I have reluctantly resigned myself to the idea of teaching them about the proper uses of guns. Hunting. Animals only.

As we were driving home from the Snake Dens the other weekend I found my kids pointing toys and "shooting" at other vehicles. I had lectured Kelvin a couple of times earlier that day about never pointing guns at people. So, in my frustration, I told him " If I see you shooting at people I will take away whatever you are using as a gun!"

Matthew, without skipping a beat, pipes up with "What if it's just my hand?"

Nuts.

I just hid my face, shook my head, and laughed as silently as I could. Doug too. It's not fair. He's not supposed to outsmart us yet, is he?

Man, I feel old.