Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Lazy Bones

I had one of those "Aha!" moments today.

As I was driving to pick Matthew up from school today I thought I'd take the time to pray. So I started in as usual, and I got to thinking about how I always ask God to help me be a better Mom. Anyone else do that?

Then it hit me. "Ummm.... I've already given you all the tools you need. You don't want me to HELP you be a better mom, you want me to do it FOR you."

D'OH!

Man, how many times have I found myself saying the same thing to my kids. You know: "I've already helped you by picking out your clothes. You don't need me to dress you, too. You're quite capable of doing that for yourself."

Hmmm.... Turns out, I'm just lazy. Not really that big of a revelation, just the context that's new. He's given me a mind with which to figure stuff out - like how to make and recognize good choices. He's given me a body that functions (well, most of the time, anyway...). And he's put love for my kids deep into my spirit, so I really do want what's good for them. AND He's there for me to lean on when I'm weak. What more am I expecting Him to do?! Snap his fingers and make me perfect? Hello.... it doesn't work that way.... value in the process, etc....

So, I guess it's time to get off my hiney(sp?) and get on with being faithful to what I know and what I've been given.

And right now that means going to bed and getting a decent night's sleep....

G'night.