Thursday, February 10, 2005

Why I hate Valentine's Day.

Ah yes, it's almost upon us again. That hallmark holiday. The season of forced giving that means nothing simply because it is expected.

Valentine's day is just like Mother's day in my books. It seems to me that if one does not receive appreciation (or tokens thereof) during the rest of the year then why on earth would one attach value to something given on one day a year because that's what you're supposed to do? It has no meaning. It's a token given out of duty, not love. And even if there is love in the motive it's overshadowed by the duty of the day.

And, heaven forbid your loved one should forget or misjudge your expectations or just plain get you ugly, useless stuff. (no reflection on Doug, here - this is a general rant) Why would you want to put that kind of pressure on the one you love to meet your unspoken expectations? Not very loving of us, I'd say...

So,... that's why I don't bother with Valentine's or Mother's day. You can keep 'em. I'll accept the spontaneous, heartfelt, non-duty-bound expressions of appreciation anytime throughout the year, without having to wonder about the motive.