Saturday, February 05, 2005

Flying Solo

Doug is in Calgary this weekend. Three days, in fact. His brother and family are in town from Mozambique via Brazil for a few weeks so we arranged for Doug to take a long weekend to go visit.

That leaves me alone with my guys.

So far, we're all still breathing. In fact, we're actually enjoying each other for the most part. We were all up late last night from taking Doug to the airport, then we had to get some stuff done at home before we could all turn in.

Matt didn't go to sleep 'til after 10:30, and still had a small night terror (I think). He woke briefly before midnight, called my name, but by the time I got there he was already self-soothing and seemed pretty calm. I didn't hear anything more from him the rest of the night.

This morning the boys got up and played together while I had a shower. Then I took them to McD's for breakfast and the play structure. What a great way to spend a Saturday morning! They played for over an hour before I felt they needed to go. We even made a stop at the store for milk with no incidents.

I think I've been working really hard at my "Zen Parenting"(Be the duck, feel it all flowing off your back, just like water.... be the duck). I've been trying to cut them a lot of slack, and not let myself get annoyed by some stuff that's just kids being kids.

Matt's been responsive and not caused too much of an uproar. Kelvin, naturally, has had requests for things that don't occur to him until I reach the bottom of the stairs or get to the computer, but I think we've got that under control, too.

I've managed to fold and put away a load of laundry, do all the dishes I left myself from yesterday, clean the DR table (where the boys are playing now), and take out the garbage. We've had lunch, and they are playing with play doh (Matt), and making cards (Kel) - halloween ones for next year, he said. Well, they were when I started this post.

And how about that? I've managed to find time to blog.

So, any of you who were having trouble reading any of my stuff due to the new format, I've made some more changes. Let me know if it's coming through any better now. I'm also working on a blog for our extended family. I think I'm going to pick a different template to modify 'cause I'm not really happy with how things are turning out with the one I started with. I'm not confident enough with html yet to do one from scratch.

Ciao!