Thursday, March 24, 2005

Education is overrated.

Oh, alright.... let's take that in context...

There is a prevailing philosophy I keep seeing around me that says: "If you know better, you do better." Basically stating that people will make good choices if only they know what they are choosing.

Hogwash!

Perhaps I'm in the minority,.... so what! I believe that people are "fallen" and "imperfect" creatures. Yes, we do wake up in the morning and say "I'm going to go and do such and such. I know it's not good for me, but I really want to do it, so I will."

Education does have it's place. Without it we cannot know the effects of our choices, but just because we know stuff doesn't mean we're going to act on it. Come on, how many of you reach for the Pepsi (Coke for Joyska) and chocolate or chips when you're stressed, tired, or just plain munchy(in my world, that's a word)? Are we unaware of the negative effects of these things on our bodies? No... we have been educated. Do people still have unprotected sex with multiple partners? Sure. Don't they know about AIDS and STDs? Well, most of them have been educated. Do women still drink while they are pregnant? Not as many as used to, but some still do because the mechanics of addiction are more complicated than education alone can address. Do my kids know what to expect when they start whaling on each other? Yep. Still they choose it.

My point is this: education is good; knowledge is power; but the free will of man(kind) needs more than that to tame it.